Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Draft

This is not a post or commentary about sports. Rather it is about my writing style. From the beginning of my time I have always started anything that had to do with writing on scratch paper; from a birthday card to a major school project, it didn't matter. No writing was too small for it to start as a draft. I can only surmise that this behavior stems from my desire to do good work; to have the end result perfect in my eyes. My children will attest to the fact that when they were in school and had a report to do I always told them to start with a draft and work the project from there. It only made sense to me………to do and re-do until you were satisfied with the results.  So today "do and re-do" goes something like this:

1. I get the idea (usually in the shower or on the road);
2. I put it on paper – that’s my first draft;
3. I call D1 and D2 with my idea;
4. They send me their draft;
5. Then we do and re-do;
6. At last perfection!

What would I do without D1 and D2?

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Not sure!
But I will say this, thank goodness for modern technology!

Ashley Allred said...

Drafts are good. I agree! I don't know what I would do without your D1 and D2 either! ;)

Amy said...

Well for one thing, you'd only have 1/2 a brain! hee, hee... I don't draft on paper, but I always proof read everything. Even text messages. Not to say that mistakes don't get missed.

Brittani said...

I used to draft and redraft and read and reread....now I am just lucky to get things written down misspelled and mistyped (sorry you guys have to read it) glad you like perfection but do not look down on others (me) for not having it.

SuSu said...

I will admit that misspelled words have a way of popping out at me. Oddly I may not know how to spell a word I just know it is not spelled right; it's weird to me that my mind knows that. But that said I never look down at others for not catching the typo. I'm just happy to read what you and others write :-)