Monday, September 29, 2008

So Maybe I Will

So yesterday on my way to church for most of my 30 minute drive I followed a motorcycle. If I were a bike-riding type, yesterday would have been a perfect day to ride. The weather was great for a ride of that sort plus the fall colors are really starting to take over. What caught my attention about this experience (even though I’ve seen it before) was what the driver did each time an oncoming bike passed him. He would ever so watchfully reach out his hand in an almost “low-five” sort of way to the oncoming biker who in kind would do the same to him. The only bond between these individuals was two wheels; the fact that their bikes ranged from a crouch rocket to a Harley didn’t matter at that point. It was like they were part of some sort of brotherhood or something. So I thought to myself wouldn’t it be something if as drivers of cars we were more courteous and friendly to the other drivers? Maybe we think because we are inside a car we don’t need to show the same courtesy; we aren’t vulnerable and we don’t care what we say or how we act because we are inside “the car.” So next I time I think I will just wave on that driver who is in such a hurry, maybe he is rushing his wife to the hospital to have their first child or maybe she is rushing to pick up her child from school because the child is sick or maybe ……… the “maybes” are endless!! So maybe we should care and so maybe I will!!

No comments: