Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Always near by...

Today is my mother's birthday. I much prefer to think of my mother in the living sense although she is no longer a phone call away. In many ways she is much closer; a phone call is not necessary to communicate with her. In the years since her death I have experienced many occasions where she has just “shown up” when I least expected it. Take this picture for example. One day not too long ago I was getting something out of my closet to wear to work the next day and there was this hanger with my mother’s initials on it. I had never noticed that hanger before that day, now I see it all the time and think, “hey mom, how’s it going?” It is significant to me that my mother would show up in my closet. Through out my whole life she had always made my clothes. In fact she taught herself to sew when I was a baby. She loved to sew and I loved the clothes she made for me. I use to wonder who would sew my clothes for me when she died! (Now that’s subject for another time.) But for today Happy Birthday, Mom! And thanks for stopping by when I least expect it, when you do, my day is always brighter!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Being able to "channel" her is one of those unexpected surprises. Whenever I'm sewing I sit and talk to her. I try to look at my creations through her eyes. When I do that I love everything I make!
Happy Birthday, Nana!

Brittani said...

Happy b-day Nana, we still think about you often!

Mike and Julie said...

What a beautiful tribute!