Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mother of Invention

So I’m catering an anniversary party in a couple of weeks and have started do some of the pre-party baking. One of the appetizers I’m making is little mini “appetizer bowls” I’m taking an un-cooked tortilla and cutting it into four rounds. Then put the 3” rounds in a mini muffin tin. Unfortunately, the first go around the tortillas puffed up so much I realized there would be no room for the goodness I was going to fill them with. So I consulted with my sous chef, D-1 and she suggested filling them with dried beans, I say wonderful idea. Then I say I have some pie weights, I’ll use those. Which I did. Unfortunately, the tortilla loved the little pie weights and just puffed up nicely around them hugging them for dear life. So I realized that wasn’t going to be my answer. I needed something with a little handle. So I took a length of foil and rolled it into a ball and leaving a little tail on the end then placed my nifty little foil weight inside my yet to be cooked “appetizer bowl” popped them into the oven and 7 minutes later…..perfection!

I know how Thomas Edison must have felt…….it was definitely a light bulb moment! I love when things work out so splendidly!

Not so pretty .....


Hey what a great idea....


A little fuzzy, but lovely...lovely!!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Very lovely!

Brittani said...

looks like we need to find a reason to hire you !

Amy said...

Yeah so glad it worked.

Tiffany said...

Can I be your taste tester?