Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Losing It

So what's up with the word lost.  Generally speaking when we lose something, we are hoping to get it back.
  • I lost your phone number.........could you give it to me again;
  • I lost my keys..........I need those, I'll be looking hard to find them;
  • I lost my mind........well maybe I want to find it and maybe I don't;
  • My luggage, my luggage I lost my luggage......well I didn't actually lose it......but it was lost nonetheless.
All of the above worthy of finding; it is stuff I want back.  Now there is one more lost "item" I will never understand.
  • I lost 10 pounds........now why do you want that back?
How does the word "lost" work in this instance? If you've lost 10 pounds why, oh why do you want it back.  If you are going to the trouble of losing it, surely you don't want it back.  Maybe that is why it is so hard for me to lose 10 pounds.  So I'm trying a new approach.  I'm dumping "lost" and replacing it with "rid!"  I need to get "rid" of 10 pounds.  Much better.........I think now maybe I'm on the right track.

3 comments:

Mike and Julie said...

I need to jump on that track (x3)! Make us a plan :-)

Tiffany said...

I'm with ya sister....let's get rid of it FOREVER!!!

Jessica said...

lovin' your words :)