Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Clothes Conscious

That’s what my mother use to say about me.  “She’s not really clothes conscious.”  It wasn’t meant in a negative way it was more to the fact that I was happy with the clothes she sewed for me.  She taught herself to sew when I was a baby; nine million years ago.  From that “school of self-taught” she would one day take in sewing/mending to earn extra money.  She took in everything from bras to be repaired to making elaborate prom and wedding dresses.  She probably hemmed around the world!!

I loved the clothes she made for me.  I always worried I would never have a new dress after she died; I’m not much for clothes shopping can you tell.  In fact, now if I can’t buy it online I avoid it altogether.

Well, Saturday I ventured into the clothes shopping world with my teenage niece.  Words like out-of-touch, sheltered, lost, frustrated, discouraged, outraged would all describe how I was feeling after our brief shopping experience.  It was like the clothes were missing their parts; the shirts were missing their sleeves, shorts were…I don’t know what they were but they were definitely missing the “leg part,” it was crazy to me.  Who wears clothes like this and more to the question why?

Time to dust off my sewing machine…

2 comments:

Brittani said...

I went shorts shopping, well attempted to with no luck after over 7 store. I landed on a pair of capris...I found something with legs finally! Not fun times for girls clothing!

Tiffany said...

LOL....I feel your pain sister. If you can't get it online I don't need it. I certainly don't need a pair of "booty" shorts and for that matter some of the people wearing them don't need them and shouldn't have them, especially in public. Just saying.......