Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Water

I have a high regard for water and all it can do. As a child I was almost drowned by it. I still can recall how I felt as I struggled mightily to stay above the surface; fighting for my life as a non-swimmer, waiting for my rescuer. As a young mother some 20 plus years ago I still recall pulling the lifeless body of my then 16 month old niece from the family swimming pool. She miraculously survived without any complications from that near fatal experience.  I trembled for months afterward as I relived the event.  Another time we had a home flood because a water pipe froze and subsequently burst.  Water, water was everywhere.  We were renters thankfully; so we walked away from that home and the soggy mattress it took out as it formed a river through our house on its way out the door.

When I thought about water as my word of the week it wasn’t really those experiences that lead me to write about it.  I was actually watering the garden at the time and I was thinking how peaceful I felt as I was doing it.  There is something about watering that is relaxing to me, as I give to those plants what they crave the most….a fresh drink of water.

Water is everywhere.  It covers about 70% of the earth’s surface.  The human body is 55% to 78% water, depending on body size.  Some of my greatest life experiences have been shaped by the force of water.  But in the end it is the peace I feel in my garden when I'm watering that makes me think of water today!

No comments: