Friday, March 4, 2011

A Bunny

My pet love goes way, way, way back. My first pet memory is when I was about four.  I was promised a bunny for Easter.  I was so excited to become an owner of a bunny.  Almost every day I would ask my mother to call the pet store to see if my bunny was ready.  It seemed like the day would never come.  I'm sure my mother thought the day would never come either due to my endless question of "is it time to go pick up my bunny yet?"  (Yes, I was a persistent four-year old, shocking I know.)  Well, the day finally arrived.  I was so excited I couldn't stand myself.  When we arrived at the pet store and while waiting for my bunny to be brought to me my attention was diverted.  It was this diversion that changed everything.  I had a decision to make. It was one or the other I couldn't have both. So that day I didn't go home with a bunny. That day I went home with a bird.  A parakeet.  I loved that funny bird.  I would let it out in my room to fly around.  I'm sure that was special for my parents.  Sadly I didn't have my bird very long.  I use to take my bird outside; yes in the cage.  But one day we had company, cousins. They let my bird out. Punks.

  

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love it. Punks indeed. ;)

Amy said...

Persistence... and you wonder why I don't tell my kids things.

Jessica said...

love the stories! our only pets when I was young were fish. My sister ate our goldfish. She was two. Explains a lot!