Thursday, March 3, 2011

Party Line

Disclaimer:  I’m realizing that these memories of mine are going to severely date me.  This is problematic for me as I’ve always been a bit of a "resentor" of the age thing; after all once we reach a certain age aren’t we all just the same age??  Besides I want to live forever. So I’m just putting it out there that what I’m about to share over the next month is real stuff and did exist in my life time. 

So the party line.  This is not about line dancing in the fifties.  This is not about politics and what party you align with.  This is about the telephone line.  Back in the day you didn't have a phone line just for you.  You shared it with two or more customers.  So I know you are thinking how did that work.  Well, you each had a different ring, so you had to know your ring when the phone rang to know if it was for you or someone else.  And if you wanted to make a call and you picked up the phone and if someone else was on it you just had to wait your turn; people were patient back then.  I remember as a little girl, I was probably 3 or 4,  picking up the phone and just listening to people talk to each, I have no memory of what they talked about which is probably a good thing but I do remember listening. Oh my word that cracks me up.  Oh and yes we could dial the number ourself we didn't go through an operator.......unless of course you needed to place a long distance call then that was a different story.
Hello.....can you hear me now!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I don't know what to say except that I can't stop smiling about this! Love the stories and we're only on day two. What a fun month it is going to be!