Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Home

We got married on a Wednesday in the Salt Lake Temple.  Our wedding reception was on Saturday, three days later, in California. The next day, Sunday we loaded up our car and headed back to Utah to find a place to live before Tuesday, which was the day Mr. Man had to be back to work.  Are you following me here?  We arrived in Ogden on Monday morning and started our search.  By day’s end we had found a place to live.  A one bedroom basement apartment, furnished and everything; it had a lovely turquoise naugahyde couch, aka vinyl or faux leather or gross, take your pick.  Rent was a $100.00 a month.  It came with a washer big bonus but the drying was done outside on the clothes line.  We had a wonderful neighbor who liked to fish but didn’t eat fish so he gave them to us.  I laugh when I think of it.  I wasn’t always laughing then.  Mr. Man left for work the next morning in our only car.  He was gone 12 hours a day; he was commuting even back then.  I knew no one and with no car had no place to go anyway. There I was 6 days married, no car, no husband for the better part of the day, no cell phone (because they hadn’t been invented yet) or phone for that matter.  I laugh when I think of it, still!  Mostly because I can’t imagine sending my daughter’s or my son’s for that matter into wedded bliss with no place to live.  Crazy!

There she is.  Our 1st Home. 
Our front door was the side door!


3 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for not sending us into "wedded bliss" like that!

Brittani said...

love that you have a pic of it!

Jessica said...

sounds like every new bride's dream!