Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sleep

Beings that this is the day of rest and all it seems appropriate to talk about sleep. Generally speaking I don't get enough of it. Part of the problem is somewhere between eight o'clock and nine o'clock in the evening I start to get my second wind; in fact the later I stay up the more energy I seem to derive. But morning still comes and then I have to get up for work. That said I generally try to avoid sitting at my desk or turning on my laptop much after eight for fear I will be sucked into the vortex of endless energy only to turn into a pumpkin or worse when the clock strikes midnight or later. Just the other night morning it was two three and I was still going strong. Writing. Working. Organizing. Planning. And then I learned this:

Getting too little sleep could prevent dieters from losing body fat, according to a study published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. Researchers observed 10 overweight men and women ages 35 to 49 who slept in a sleep lab for two separate two-week periods; participants logged 5.5 nightly hours in one of the trials and 8.5 nightly hours in the other. The dieters lost the same amount of weight during each trial, but when they were sleeping fewer hours, they lost muscle, rather than fat. Sleeping 8.5 hours a night, meanwhile, was associated with losing mostly fat.

Thank goodness for the day of rest and nine o'clock church. 

Ahhhhhhh Sleep Got to Get More in 2011!

No comments: